Gombe Stream National Park, located on the western border of Tanzania and the Congo, is most famous for Jane Goodall, the resident primatologist who spent many years in its forests studying the behavior of the endangered chimpanzees. Gombe was designated a game reserve in 1943 and upgraded into a national park status in 1968. The park is located 16 km north of Kigoma town on the shores of Lake Tanganyika in western Tanzania. It covers an area of 56 square kilometers and is a fragile habitat for chimpanzees.
Besides chimpanzees, primates inhabiting Gombe include beachcomber olive baboons, red colobus, red-tailed monkeys, blue monkeys, and vervet monkeys. Red-tailed monkeys and blue monkeys have also been known to hybridize in the area. The park is also home to over 200 bird species and bushpigs. There are also many species of snakes, and occasional hippopotami and leopards. Visitors to the park can trek into the forest to view the chimpanzees, as well as swim and snorkel in Lake Tanganyika with almost 100 kinds of colorful cichlid fish.
DAY 1: DAR ES SALAAM – KIGOMA UJIJI – GOMBE
This adventure starts early in the morning. Either upon your arrival at Julius Nyerere International airport or from your hotel, you will be welcomed by
KIHINDO TOURS & SAFARIS representative.
• Transfer from Dar es Salaam to Kigoma (regular flight)
• Pick up and transfer to Ujiji for a guided visit to Dr. Livingstone memorial center
• Transfer to Kibirizi and cruise on the Tanganyika lake to Gombe
• Pick up and transfer to GOMBE REST HOUSE
• After lunch you will start trekking into the forest
DAY 2: FOREST TREKKING & WATERFALLS
After breakfast, we take you for chimpanzee tracking in the forest. You will also visit the Kakombe waterfalls which are among the best natural attractions in the park. Time allowing, you will climb Jane’s peak for an unforgettable view of the park. Meals and overnight are at GOMBE REST HOUSE.
DAY 3: FOREST TREKKING & RETURN TO KIGOMA
After breakfast, start a new chimpanzee trekking in different valleys and visit the Mkenge waterfall. You shall return to the rest house for lunch. Transfer to Kigoma. Dinner and overnight will be at the KIGOMA HILLTOP HOTEL on the Lake’s shore.
DAY 4: RETURN TO DAR ES SALAAM
The adventure reaches its end. After breakfast, you shall fly back to Dar es Salaam. KIHINDO TOURS & SAFARIS representative will assist you to the airport or to your hotel and shall look forward to receiving you soon again for your next adventure.
1) Park fees
2) All activities
3) All accommodation (Unless listed as upgrade)
4) A professional driver/guide
5) All transportation (Unless labeled as optional)
6) All Taxes/VAT
7) Roundtrip airport transfer
8) Meals (As specified in the day-by-day section)
9) Drinks water (mineral water)
10)flights go and return Dar es salaam-Kigoma-Dar es salaam
1) International flights (From/to home)
2) Tips (Tipping guideline US$10.00 pp per day)
3) Personal items (Souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
4) Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees